A Personal Tool for a Successful Career
In comparison to the Curriculum Vitae, the teaching portfolio offers versatility and detailed scholarly activity, thus allowing professionals to track different stages of their careers and reflect upon it. Employers and chairpersons are able to have comprehensive representation of an individual’s professional activities. The teaching portfolio (TP) will provide documentation of expertise, research progress, teaching experience and educational accomplishments.
Current challenges we face today and how the Teaching Portfolio can help:
- Increased undergraduate involvement in faculty research.� How would you integrate your research into your courses and enhance student participation in your work? How would you demonstrate interactions and evaluations for different levels of trainees- medical students, respiratory therapist, nurses, high school students?
- Increased usage of technology in the classroom and workplace.� How would you use wikis, and/or web-based resources to have a substantial impact on a course that you teach? How would you demonstrate those interactions?
- Interdisciplinary curriculums: Self documentation of descriptive scholarly activity with emphasis on regional, national and international audiences.� How could you archive this if your department does not provide a record of such educational interactions?
Use your TP to provide not only continuing documentation of professional and scholarly activities, but also to improve your skills, hone your ideas, and develop new tracts and techniques. Instead of updating your CV when appropriate, the TP allows for professional development in all areas of practice: both private and academic.
Who are you and what can the Teaching Portfolio offer you?
- Systematically reassess your philosophy of teaching statement, the relationship between the teacher as scholar and the scholar as teacher
- Portfolio can be used to demonstrate mastery of clinical concepts supporting your
- philosophical viewpoint
- Document command of educational content: main ideas, turning points, and supporting details
- Demonstrate materials used in teaching, outcomes data ,storage for feedback on effective teaching
- Archives advanced degrees, and privileging/consultations in area of expertise .
- Philosophy of teaching statement perceives the relationship between the teacher as scholar and the scholar as teacher
- Demonstrating expertise in vital themes in teaching philosophy
- Demonstrating challenging and engaging teaching content developing possibly new teaching concepts.
- Archiving expertise in systems based learning tools. Archiving techniques using current technology
- Philosophy of teaching statement shows that scholarship and teaching are linked
- Content of unit and lesson plans are standards-based and focus on your institutions professional promotions structure.
- Content can demonstrate command of the research base on effective teaching
- Documenting CME in area of interest on tract to becoming expert in field.
Proficient (Entry-Level or Tenure Track) Teacher
- Philosophy statement reflects on progress of career as teacher and scholar
- Archives curriculum material that are standards-based and demonstrate contributing content
- Allows review and reflection on teaching philosophy
- Organized referencing of educational activities : content and feedback
Apprentice (Student) Teacher
- Formulates a philosophy of teaching statement
- Completion of student teaching using standards-based unit plans and lesson plans
- Teaching certificate awarded
- Initiates role modeling for professional journals subscription/ reviewing
- A teaching portfolio may be used to land your first job!
- Documents progress in professional education courses (CME content)
- Documenting progress in teaching methods
- Satisfactory delivery of standards-based content in teaching clinical experiences
- Maintenance Of Certification in Anesthesia n(MOCA)
- Allowing early feedback of teaching techniques (strengths and weaknesses)
- Documentation of minimum standards in education and memberships in committees & societies
- Templates serve as guide to start and maintain professional progress
- Preparing a Program Information Form (PIF)
- Electronic Database for queries such as Research and scholarly activity within a department Credentialing
- Personal Templates for creating PIF Documentations.
- Assessments for teaching awards
- Documenting General Departmental teaching effectiveness
- Contract renewals and individual assessments
- Can be used for promotion and tenure within a department.
Private Practitioners: Independent Practitioners
- Documenting CME
- MOCA Requirements
- Self Assessments
- Workshops and Reimbursement portfolio for Professional Activities.
- Tracking Personal Skills
- Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement